Women's U18 world championships officially rescheduled for June, to be held in Wisconsin
After being cancelled this past winter, the U18 Women's World Championship is back on. The tournament will be June 6-13 in both Madison and Middleton, Wisconsin.
After the IIHF U18 Women's World Championship tournament was canceled in December due to Covid-19 concerns, there was lots of uncertainty about when the games would be rescheduled.
It has been officially announced that the 2022 U18 World Championship games will be help June 6th through the 13th in two different sites in Middleton and Madison, Wisconsin.
The tournament had been scheduled to take place in Sweden, but will now be entirely played in the United States. The two host sites will be LeBahn Arena in Madison, home of the Wisconsin Badgers, and Bob Suter's Capitol Ice Arena in Middleton, home of the Madison Capitols of the USHL.
The tournament is a place to showcase the best female junior players around the world.
The roster of the United States includes seven players from Minnesota. Those players are listed below.
- Emma Peschel (Edina / Benilde-St. Margaret's / Ohio State Commit)
- Sedona Blair (Eden Prairie / Holy Family Catholic / New Hampshire Commit)
- Danielle Burgen (Lindstrom / Chisago Lakes HS / Minnesota-Duluth Commit)
- Claire Enright (Farmington / Lakeville South HS / Wisconsin Commit)
- Madison Kaiser (Ham Lake / Holy Family Catholic / Minnesota Commit)
- Ava Lindsay (Wayzata / Minnetonka HS / Minnesota Commit)
- Josie St. Martin (Stillwater / Stillwater HS / Uncommited)
Along with players from the state, there are also some Minnesotans on the coaching staff and management team as well. This includes general manager Kristen Wright of St. Paul, assistant coach Alli Altman of of Eagan, hockey operations Jessica Scott of Coon Rapids, and athletic trainer Annika Ferber of Brooklyn Center.
Countries competing in Group A are the United States, Canada, Finland, and Sweden while the countries in Group B are Germany, Switzerland, Czechia, and Slovakia.
Games times and ticket availability information will be released at a later date.