USHL roundup: NHL Reverse Retro jerseys step aside, Gamblers paying tribute to the Green Bay Bobcats days
The Gamblers will debut these 2022 retro jerseys on Nov. 23 as they take on the Madison Capitols. Also in this week's USHL roundup, look where teams sit statistically as we head into Week 9, as well
CHICAGO — Moves continue to be made around the USHL as we take a look at the latest transactions taking place this past week. We also break down our statistical leaders around the league, but first we're taking a look at a team who is giving the NHL Reverse Retro jerseys a run for their money.
Green Bay Gamblers sport throwback jerseys
The NHL has made headlines with their reverse retro jerseys, but let's take a second to admire these retro jerseys from the Green Bay Gamblers that go all the way back to the days when they were the Green Bay Bobcats who played in the USHL from 1961-1979.
Roughriders without Connor Smith for remainder of season
Forward Connor Smith tore both his ACL and MCL in practice last week and will be out for the remainder of the 2022-23 season. Smith is one of the top forwards on the Roughriders, ranking sixth on the team in points with six, consisting of two goals and four assists through 10 games played.
- Patrick Czarnecki was traded from the Madison Capitols to the Omaha Lancers
- Tyler Grahme was added to the Madison Capitols
- Drew Montgomery from the Tri-City Storm was traded to the Omaha Lancers in exchange for Evan Werner
- Girts Silkalns was traded from the Des Moines Buccaneers to the Fargo Force
Jacqui Gutierrez, first female athletic trainer to win Clark Cup, joins ECHL
When the Sioux City Musketeers hoisted the Clark Cup back in May, not only did they bring another championship back to the organization, but they made history as Jacqui Gutierrez became the first female athletic trainer to win the Clark Cup. Now, Gutierrez will begin a new chapter as she moves to South Carolina to join the Stingrays of the ECHL, an affiliate of the Washington Capitols.
FIRST FEMALE ATHLETIC TRAINER to win the Clark Cup— Jacqui Gutierrez, MA, LAT, ATC (@Jac_Gutierrez14) May 26, 2022
I want to give a special thanks to Coach Strand and the whole Musketeers Organization for bringing me into this FAMILY & for the opportunity to become a trailblazer for all women in sports. Thank you all.
WE DID IT
Waterloo Black Hawks to host Autism Awareness Night
In an initiative to recognize autism, the Waterloo Black Hawks have announced they will be hosting Autism Awareness Night in their game against the Lincoln Stars on Nov. 19. The organization stated how they recognize how difficult it can be for those with a sensory disorder to attend a hockey game or a loud event, so they are doing their part on Saturday with the following:
- Allowing early entry to the game for those impacted by autism
- Providing a quiet and calm space for those who may become overstimulated
- Providing sensory kits that include a fidget toy, headphones, crayons, activity sheets, and tissues
Autism Awareness Night also hopes that it can show the community Black Hawks games are welcoming, safe, and enjoyable for all fans.
Statistics heading into Week 9
- A quarter of a way through the 2022-23 USHL regular season, these are the goal leaders through Week 8, with four Chicago Steel forwards being in the top 11 skaters around the league, including
who leads with 14 goals
- James Hagens of the NTDP leads the entire USHL in points per game at 2.40
- Not only does Jack Harvey lead the league in goals, but also in scoring at 24 points
- The Chicago Steel have four players in the top five in the league for scoring ( Jack Harvey 24, Nick Moldenhauer 19, Michael Emerson 19, Jayden Perron 19)
- Muskegon's David Hymovitch has the most game-winning goals with three along with Keaton Peters of the Lincoln Stars
- Macklin Celebrini of the Chicago Steel and Sam Harris of the Sioux Falls Stampede each lead the USHL with five power-play goals
- The Fargo Force have four of the top five players in the league with the best plus/minus ( Jakob Stender plus 16, Bret Link plus 14, Anthony Menghini plus 13, Brasen Boser plus 12)
- Quinn Finley (10) and Anthony Menghini (7) are each on six-game point streaks. Jack Harvey is on a five-game point streak, scoring nine goals in that span
- When scoring first, the Lincoln Stars are 8-0, Waterloo Black Hawks are 7-0, and the Des Moines Buccaneers are 5-0