Consistency is key for the Omaha Lancers as they prepare for season with new head coach
"Consistency. Consistency every day," said head coach David Wilkie. "Work to get better every time they touch the ice or even in the gym." That is the goal for the team as they head into the new
OMAHA, Neb. — The Omaha Lancers are heading into the new season with more stability after a rocky past couple of years. David Wilkie is back at the helm of the organization, and he is excited about the group he's assembled. With the talent on the Lancers roster, there are a few areas he wants his team to hone in on.
"Consistency. Consistency every day," said Wilkie, the team's head coach and general manager. "Work to get better every time they touch the ice or even in the gym. I think things here got a little loose and a little lax and just trying to get back to a pro mindset."
Wilkie expanded on his goals for the team from there.
"The only thing these guys need to worry about other than being good teammates and good people is just how do they get better," said Wilkie. "How do they get better within the team concepts so they can achieve what they want to achieve moving forward and that's important cause it's a team game, I feel like the best team game in the world in terms of sports. Just being a part of something that's greater than themselves and showing up every day to get better."
2021-22 SEASON RECAP
Last year the Lancers went on to a 30-26-0-6 record, being coached by Chadd Cassidy for the first half of the year then Rob Rassey in February. Michael Cameron led the team in points with 36 and in goals with 18 through 54 games.
- Rob Rassey leaves organization after serving as interim head coach
- David Wilke returns to the Lancers as he is brought back to the organization as head coach, general manager and CEO
- Jamie Storr named president of hockey operations
- Lancers acquired Griffin Jurecki afrom the Lincoln Stars
- Alex Bump and Jared Wright were selected at the 2022 NHL Draft. Bump to the Philadelphia Flyers and Wright to the Los Angeles Kings
- Cameron Korpi is acquired by the Lancers from Lumberjacks
- Anden Cerbone is acquired by the Lancers from the Steel
- Charlie Lurie and Justin Stupka are acquired by the Lancers from Youngstown
- Noel Rubin, Mike Monti, Matt Bruneteau and Mathieu Fernandes are added to the Lancers hockey operations staff
- Matt Romer is named the captain of the Lancers for the 2022-23 season. Nate Benoit , Evan Werner , Alex Bump and Andon Cerbone are named alternate captains.
- Alex Bump comes to the Lancers this season after being drafted by the Philidelphia Flyers 133rd overall at the 2022 NHL Draft. Last season he was the captain for Prior Lake (Minn.) High School where he put up 48 goals and 35 assists in 31 games. He also played a before and after season in the USHL where he had 13 goals and 7 assists in 31 games from the regular season and postseason.
- Kevin Pasche was a wall between the pipes last season for the Lancers and he returns. Last year he a 2.87 GAA and a .903 save percentage through the regular season.
- Evan Werner split time between Youngstown and Omaha last season. In his 2021-22 USHL season he had 19 goals and 13 assists through a total of 58 regular season and playoff games.
- Andon Cerbone played for the Chicago Steel last season where he had 11 goals and 27 assists in 61 games.
- Matt Romer is the captain of the team this season. Last year he put up five goals and 16 assists in 62 games.
The Lancers play at Liberty First Credit Union Arena in Ralston, Neb. which used to be known as Ralston Arena. The arena opened its doors in October of 2012 and can seat roughly 4,400 fans.
The Lancers will kick off their season on Sept. 24 at the Dick’s Sporting Goods Fall Classic as they take on the USNTDP.