Grand Forks Red River had last beaten Grand Forks Central almost exactly four years ago -- Feb. 20, 2016.

That streak ended Friday night in the semifinals of the East Region tournament at Purpur Arena.

Logan Huus scored 57 seconds into double overtime to lift the Roughriders to a 3-2 win over Central.

"It was just hard work and commitment to doing the little things and tough things," Red River coach Mike LaMoine said. "I saw a lot of determination tonight from everybody on that bench."

Huus hit home a centering pass from Mason Thingvold.

"Great play all-around by all five guys," Huus said. "Played the puck in deep and had two guys go to the puck. Credit to Thingvold, great pass and I just hit it home. I just tried to get it on net."

Red River advances to Saturday's approximately 6 p.m. championship game. The Riders will play the winner of Fargo South/Shanley and Fargo Davies in the late Friday semifinal.

Central plays Fargo North at 1 p.m. in a state-qualifying game.

The 19-4-0 Knights had beaten the 15-7-2 Roughriders by scores of 2-1 and 3-1 during the regular season, so a tight game was expected. Still, the Knights have had the upper hand in recent years, winning three consecutive state championships.

Three years ago, Red River won a shootout for league points after a tie with Central but the game is officially considered a tie.

"They've been in some great battles with these guys for a long time, probably back to Pee Wees," LaMoine said. "Any time you're playing your crosstown rival, it's going to be a close game. It means the world to the guys in the locker room."

After a scoreless first period, Red River took the game’s first lead when Morgan Hoefs scored his fourth goal of the year in the opening minute of the second period.

Braden Panzer shifted momentum back to the Knights with a short-handed goal at 3:27 of the second. The goal was Panzer’s team-leading 22nd of the year.

The Knights took a 2-1 into the second intermission thanks to a Chase Spicer goal at 11:10 of the second.

Red River tied the game at 2-2 thanks to freshman Michael Coleman, who also scored in the region quarterfinals.

After heavy Central pressure on Red River goalie Nick Antonenko, Coleman, who scored his 10th of the season, went the other way and kept the puck during a 2-on-1 rush, using Central’s defender to help screen the goalie.

Coleman’s goal came with 3:26 left in regulation.

"I thought it was a great game," Central coach Grant Paranica said. "It was a valiant effort. We had great quality chances and ones we didn't capitalize on. Red River played a terrific game. Defensively, we had a tough time coming out of our zone.

"That was a rivalry game. It was a hard-fought battle and everything you expect out of a Red River- Central game."

GF Red River 3,

GF Central 2, 2OT

Second period -- 1. RR, Morgan Hoefs (Justin Wasvick, Michael Nottestad) :58; 2. GFC, Braden Panzer 3:27; 3. GFC, Chase Spicer (Panzer, Adam Arnold) 11:10

Third period -- 4. RR, Michael Coleman 13:34

Double overtime -- 5. RR, Logan Huus (Mason Thingvold) :57

Goalie saves -- RR: Nick Antonenko 8-7-9-5-0 -- 29 ; GFC: Kolby Elseth 5-6-11-4-1` -- 27