In a non-pandemic hockey season, youth teams all over the state would be at region tournaments this weekend, battling on the ice for much-coveted trips to their respective state tournaments. But with youth sports being shut down for several weeks around the holidays, Minnesota Hockey adjusted the calendar to accommodate a more full youth hockey season, and as a result, changes to some tournament dates and sites are being made.
In December, Minnesota Hockey’s board approved an extension of the season due to the pause on youth sports, which ended on January 4. The extension allows for the region tournaments to be held March 19-21, which is three weeks later than they were originally scheduled. The youth hockey state tournaments, originally scheduled March 12-14 have been moved to March 26-28.
Glen Andresen, Minnesota Hockey's executive director, said people have generally been flexible and accommodating, and they are optimistic about the coming month.
"People are grateful and hopeful that the tournaments will take place, and where we are now, about four weeks out, we're more confident than ever that we'll get there," Andresen said. "I think most people feel that way too. They're just excited to get to tournament play."
The revamped timetable created some scheduling conflicts in certain communities and arenas, which necessitated the following changes:
- The 12U B State Tournament, originally scheduled to be held in Rochester, will now be held in Owatonna.
- The 15U B State Tournament, originally scheduled to be held in Rochester, will now be held in Dodge County (Kasson).
- The Bantam A West Region in St. Louis Park, will now be held March 18-20. The Bantam B West Region games will continue to be held March 19-March 21.
- The Peewee AA South Region, originally scheduled to be held in Owatonna, will now be held in Dodge County (Kasson).
- The Bantam AA South Region, originally scheduled to be held in Owatonna, will now be held in Faribault.
- Hermantown will now host the 12U A East Region, and Moorhead will host the 12U A North Region.
Additionally, the 15U B Olympic Region will be held in Alexandria, while the 15U B American and 15U B National Regions will be held in Blaine.
The 2021 Minnesota Hockey State Tournament locations are as follows:
- Bantam AA — Edina
- Bantam A — Edina
- Bantam B — New Ulm
- PeeWee AA — Albertville
- PeeWee A — Monticello
- PeeWee B — New Ulm
- 19U — Stillwater
- 15UA — Moorhead
- 15UB — Dodge County (Kasson)
- 12UA — Stillwater
- 12UB — Owatonna
- Junior Gold A — South St. Paul
- Junior Gold B — South St. Paul
- Junior Gold 16 — South St. Paul
Full schedules are available at the Minnesota Hockey website.