There will be another Sanderson wearing No. 26 at UND.
UND's highly regarded incoming freshman defenseman Jake Sanderson will don No. 26, the same number that former forward Coltyn Sanderson wore for four years from 2012-16. The two are not related.
The other newcomers also have gotten their number assignments.
Defenseman Cooper Moore will wear No. 4. Defenseman Mitchell Miller will wear No. 7. Forward Brendan Budy, a sophomore transfer from Denver, will wear No. 9. Forward Griffin Ness will wear No. 11. Forward Riese Gaber will wear No. 17. Defenseman Tyler Kleven will wear No. 25.
None of UND's returning players are expected to change numbers.
Here are 10 things to know about UND's 2020-21 number assignments:
- Numbers 5, 6 and 27 will be open. Casey Johnson wore No. 5 last season and captain Colton Poolman wore No. 6. This will be the second-straight year that nobody has worn No. 27. The last player to do it was Ludvig Hoff in 2018-19.
- Miller will be the first defenseman to wear No. 7 since All-American Travis Roche in 2001. Since then, it has been worn by forwards Brandon Bochenski, T.J. Oshie, Danny Kristo, Wade Murphy and Zach Yon.
- Sanderson will be the first defenseman to wear No. 26 since Kyle Radke in 2008 (though, you may recall, Coltyn Sanderson did line up as at defense on his final shift at UND. Coach Brad Berry sent the seniors out for the last shift of the 2016 NCAA national championship game. All four seniors were forwards, so Coltyn lined up on defense).
- Kleven will be the first defenseman to wear No. 25 since fellow North Dakota native Jake Marto in 2011.
- Kleven is the highest-profile player UND has landed from Fargo since Brian Williams, who tallied 180 points from 1982-86. Interestingly enough, Kleven will be wearing the same number as Williams.
- The connections continue with Sanderson and Kleven. They spent the last two seasons together at USA Hockey's National Team Development Program. They're scheduled to go together in the 2020 NHL Draft. They're coming in as rookies together. They are planning to live together. They're 25 and 26.
- Moore will keep the streak alive of players using No. 4. That number has been in use each season since 1989. No number has been continuously used for more seasons in a row than No. 4.
- Moore will be wearing the same number his uncle, Dave Ellett, wore with the Toronto Maple Leafs. Ellett and Berry were former teammates on the Winnipeg Jets.
- No. 9 is a new one for Budy, who wore 25 during his first stint in Langley and at Denver, 28 in Tri-City and 4 last season with Langley.
- After Jonny Tychonick wore No. 17 as a defenseman, that number will be going back to a forward in Gaber. It has traditionally been a forward number at UND.
UND's projected 2020-21 numerical roster
1 - Peter Thome, senior, goaltender
2 - Gabe Bast, senior, defenseman
3 - Matt Kiersted, senior, defenseman
4 - Cooper Moore, freshman, defenseman
5 - blank
6 - blank
7 - Mitchell Miller, freshman, defenseman
8 - Harrison Blaisdell, sophomore, forward
9 - Brendan Budy, sophomore, forward (transfer from DU)
10 - Gavin Hain, junior, forward
11 - Griffin Ness, freshman, forward
12 - retired (Terry Casey)
13 - Carson Albrecht, sophomore, forward
14 - Jasper Weatherby, junior, forward
15 - Ethan Frisch, sophomore, defenseman
16 - Grant Mismash, senior, forward
17 - Riese Gaber, freshman, forward
18 - Collin Adams, senior, forward
19 - Mark Senden, junior, forward
20 - Josh Rieger, senior, defenseman
21 - Jackson Keane, senior, forward
22 - Shane Pinto, sophomore, forward
23 - retired (Ralph Engelstad)
24 - Jacob Bernard-Docker, junior, defenseman
25 - Tyler Kleven, freshman, defenseman
26 - Jake Sanderson, freshman, defenseman
27 - blank
28 - Judd Caulfield, sophomore, forward
29 - Jordan Kawaguchi, senior, forward
31 - Adam Scheel, junior, goaltender
35 - Harrison Feeney, junior, goaltender